A Just Livestock Transition in Asia
50by40, with World Animal Protection is hosting a panel on ‘A Just Livestock Transition in Asia: Human Rights and Health perspective’ at the Just Transition Forum in Asia 2022 (JTFA) organised by Climate Action Network Southeast Asia (CANSEA) and Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) on September 8th 2022 from 8:45 AM – 10:00 AM UTC. JTFA will bring together perspectives from practitioners, policymakers, researchers and activists to define the next practical steps of how we can move forward towards a just transition in Asia.
Climate change presents challenges to the stability of our food systems and public health, 50by40’s session at the JTFA seeks to answer the following questions:
- What will a Just Livestock Transition mean for small-holder farmers?
- Given the projected future losses to farmers due to climate change, human rights and public health concerns, emission reduction and sequestration opportunities, why aren’t adapation and changes to our food systems in Asia prioritised politically?
- How can a Just Livestock Transition help prevent future pandemics?
50by40 & WAP brings the conversation of Just Livestock Transition to the same table as the energy transition and highlights the importance of such a transition from a human rights and health perspective.
Confirmed Panellists include:
- Facilitator: Shweta Sood – Programmes Division Head, 50by40
- Vince Cinches – Interim Head of Campaigns – Food Revolution for Animals in Farming, Food Systems Strategy, World Animal Protection (WAP)
- Kate Blaszak – Director, Sustainable Proteins, Asia Research and Engagement (ARE)
- Guna Subramaniam – Southeast Asia Advisor, Institute for Human Rights and Business (IHRB)