Independent Food Systems Summit Dialogue
Share this page
Engaging Powerholders in Catalysing Food Systems Change
50by40 is taking an active role in the UN Food Systems Summit with an aim to emphasise the importance of food systems transformation, as well as ensure inclusivity and actionability of the Summit processes and outcomes.
In light of this, Lasse Bruun, CEO of 50by40 and Global Civil Society Lead for Action Track 2 of the UN Food Systems Summit decided to curate an independent Food Systems Summit Dialogue: Engaging Powerholders in Catalysing Food Systems Change which was convened by 50by40 and Action Track 2 of the UN Food Systems Summit, led by Dr. Gunhild Stordalen, Founder and Executive Chair of EAT, on 5 May 2021.
If you are interested in learning more, please consult the official Summit feedback form that was submitted to inform the UN Food Systems Summit 2021 process going forward.
The dialogue aimed to generate a critical set of suggestions from civil society representatives for each of the stakeholder groups identified below on how to ensure inclusivity and actionability of the Summit outcomes, as well as determine a pathway for taking these outcomes forward. As a conversation starter, the event serves as an important step towards the Pre-Summit in July.
The event brought together a wide range of stakeholders, including civil society representatives, those from the private sector, national, regional, and international bodies. All in all, 59 participants joined the conversation. This was a perfect number to ensure lively and in-depth discussions in the breakout groups, while at the same time allowing a wide range of stakeholders to be represented.
- Lasse Bruun, CEO of 50by40 and Action Track 2 Global Civil Society Lead (Dialogue Curator)
- Dr. Gunhild Stordalen, Founder and Executive Chair of EAT and Action Track 2 Chair
- Yon Fernandez-de-Larrinoa, Chief of the FAO Indigenous peoples Unit
- Zachary Tofias, Director of the Food and Waste Program at C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
- Helena Wright, Policy Director at the Jeremy Coller Foundation
- Lana Weidgenant, Deputy Director at Zero Hour International and Action Track 2 Youth Vice-Chair
- Vositha Wijenayake, Executive Director at SLYCAN Trust
- Jørgen Torgerstuen Johnsen, Consultant, Food and Nutrition Action in Health Systems unit at WHO
- Lina Mahy, Technical Officer, Food Systems Unit of the Department of Nutrition and Food Safety at WHO
The core part of the event was breakout discussions organised around different stakeholder groups:
- Private Sector/Investors
Watch the interview with Lasse Bruun on his unique and challenging role in the UN Food Systems Summit process.