To create a unified movement of movements aimed at mitigating the various externalities of animal agriculture by reversing current growth and industrialization trends to cut global production of industrialized animal agriculture in half by 2040 from 2017 levels.
50by40 Foundation is in start-up phase; developing plans, strategy, and operational, financial and programmatic infrastructure for its first years of operation. The Executive Director is one of the first staff members. This means they will need to be able to wear many hats until remaining staff can be hired. The Director must be both a systems/detail person and a people-person. He or she will need to manage and execute many small administrative details while also creating and overseeing a big vision.
What You Will Do
Income Generation: Fundraising program development & implementation.
In concert with the Board, the Director will create and execute a program to bring diverse funding possibilities to the table. The work will be strongly relationship-based, focused on thoughtful engagement with capital holders.
Administration, Finance, Personnel & Operations
The Director will build from the ground up all administrative, operational, technological and financial systems of the Organization. This includes:
- Culture: process-oriented, servant leadership approach that is willing to be in the discomfort of a patient process as we work towards the non-linear and emergent.
- Financial: developing and managing budgets, financial oversight and regular reporting, hiring and supervising the bookkeeper and accounting team.
- Corporate records and compliance: maintaining organizational files and records including all corporate records, personnel, finance, legal, grantmaking.
- Administrative: developing a streamlined grantmaking system that includes as much automation as possible, data management, donor receipts, grant agreement processing, grant reporting, sharing stories, etc.
- IRS/Legal compliance: ensure organization prepares and files all IRS and state filings, completes tax returns and audits in a timely fashion and as needed.
- Personnel: where appropriate, hire and supervise staff, volunteers and interns. Ensure organization is operating in compliance with basic H/R law.
- Board of Directors: co-staffing the Board including organizing and facilitating board meetings where needed, managing minutes and Board compliance issues.
Program Development & Marketing
Building programs which incline collaboration with existing and new allies that expand the breadth of groups working on meat reduction and deepen their commitment to prioritize this within their organization and movement.Facilitating the development of a robust, innovative grantmaking program. This includes developing and testing innovative and creative approaches to fund meat reduction efforts in areas and sectors where such activities have previously not been represented. Includes a focus on process-orientation along with the eventual funding - how to grow multiple forms of wealth through the funding relationship.
Creative, entrepreneurial programmatic strategist who can bring knowledge and best practices to the table while also allowing space for the Board to innovate and experiment with the program. Aggregating knowledge and using it to improve grantmaking and programs over time. Developing and executing a plan to share the outcomes of the program work to broader audiences through stories, numbers, relationships, new media, etc.
Work closely with the Board to shape and guide short and long term vision, strategy and programs. Support the Board in optimizing the use of their time to forward the organization’s goals. Create and manage an advisory board if needed/warranted. This role will be heavily co-creative with the lead funder, who has been engaged in the space for many years, has many relationships in the space with funders, and is financially committed to support administrative expenses for a significant period.
Who You Are
- Passion for and experience in other groups that align with 50by40’s mission and values.
- Proven experience in a wide range of fundraising strategies; experience in developing and managing fundraising programs and cultivating donors.
- Experience and confidence in creating and managing budgets and organizational finances, financial reporting, IRS and legal compliance.
- Attention to detail and the ability to address small administrative processes from a servant leader perspective.
- Interested in engaging with mindfulness as part of a broader transformative approach.
- Big picture vision for automating systems and project managing database and other technology projects geared towards streamlining operations.
- Skilled team builder, basic sense of personnel processes and best practices.
- Ability to work with, facilitate and utilize Boards of Directors, advisory boards, and network affiliations.
- A positive, creative, problem solver with an entrepreneurial spirit - focused on transcending binary solutions.
- Highly motivated, self-directed person who can operate with little oversight but maintains a high level of accountability and integrity in how work gets done.
- Willingness to travel frequently, and often globally, to build relationships, often to speak at conferences and other gatherings.
- A candidate with cultivated relationships in one key segment connected to animal agriculture (health, environmental, animal advocacy, govt policy, food justice).
- A candidate with non-profit Board experience.
- A candidate whose life shows clear alignment with the values of 50by40 and understands the exterior and interior ramifications of our current paradigm.
- A candidate who can communicate using tools of the logical mind as well as a heart of compassion.
- A candidate who can own the vision and develop creative approaches to address dynamically appearing opportunities.
This role will be based in either the San Francisco area or the Los Angeles area, preferably the former.
How To Apply
Please send a resume with cover letter to email@example.com with subject ‘50by40 Executive Director’ - we have an intention to interview on a rolling basis.