Open Letter Launch
Livestock production contributes at least 14.5% of all greenhouse gas emissions. If current levels are maintained, it is estimated that livestock production will account for roughly 81% of the 1.5°C emissions budget by 2050 and render the Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) unachievable. A Just Transition in Livestock Production can mitigate climate change, secure livelihoods, improve the environment and health.
Ahead of the UN Food Systems Summit and UN Climate Change Conference in 2021, It is essential to look into the framework of Just Transition and its application to industrialised livestock production. So join us for a worldwide virtual event, ’Just Livestock Transition – a game-changing solution to the food system crisis’ on Tuesday, 21 September at GMT – 3:00 pm, EST – 11:00 am, CET- 5:00 pm.
The event will bring together speakers across different sectors, including investors, farmers, finance, academia, civil society and youth. We will examine the importance of a Just Transition in animal agriculture and the manner in which a Just Transition can transform food systems. Additionally, we will explore the actions that should be taken at the UNFSS and COP26 to lay the groundwork for a just transition in livestock production.
At this event, we will be launching the Open Letter calling on the Member States of the United Nations to support Just Livestock Transition at the UN Food Systems Summit (UNFSS) in September and Climate Change Conference (COP26) in November 2021.
The keynote speech will be given by Anna Lappé, a bestselling author, an internationally recognised expert on food systems and a renowned advocate for sustainability and justice along the food chain.
The discussion will be moderated by Lasse Bruun, CEO of 50by40.
- Dr Helena Wright, Policy Director at FAIRR initiative
- Charlotte Blattner, Dr. iur., LL.M. (Harvard), Senior Lecturer and Researcher, Institute of Public Law, Faculty of Law, University of Bern
- Adrien Vogt-Schilb (TBC), Senior Economist at the Inter-American Development Bank’s Climate change division
- Ajay Vir Jakhar, Chairman of Bharat Krishak Samaj (Farmers’ Forum India), Vice-Chair of Sustainable Consumption & UN Food Champion at UN Food Systems Summit
- Lana Weidgenant, Deputy Director of Zero Hour International, Vice-Chair of Shifting to Sustainable Consumption Patterns at UN Food Systems Summit 2021